Saturday, May 2, 2009

My first Day at my Foster Home

WOW is my life different. I came from a life with two sisters and we always had to hunt for the basics - no food or water for us, but we did live in a house. Someone took us and then we went to a shelter with lots of other dogs. The people there were so nice and found a group to take us. We had to get split up, but that was ok - life is going to be better for us all.... I just know.

I'm Otto, I might be 12, but tough to tell from my rough start. Even though I'm a bit older, I'm ready for a new beginning. I'm blind, but it doesn't bother me. I'm curious and explore without hesitation. Since I can hear fine, it makes learning new places much easier.

My foster mom never had a blind dog before, but she says I'm really easy. I'm ok with a crate and know to keep it clean. I whine sometimes, but that's because this is all new. My foster dad gave me a shirt he was wearing and boy did that give me some comfort. Then I slept straight through the night. My foster mom had to wake me up.

I've learned where to find my water. I like bones and even toys - I haven't showed her my true colors yet, but I'm one frisky fella. Wait until she sees how playful I can be. She even took me for a walk today and that was fun. She said I'm really good on a leash.

There are a couple other dogs here that seem to like me ok. I like them though. We pretty much keep to ourselves, but it nice to know they are around. Right now I'm staying in a smaller space to take my time adjusting, but in a few days, I hear I'll be exploring more of the house.

I've had all my shots and even got neutered. I am lymes positive so I'm getting some medication to clear that up. Since I couldn't tell them about my past, they did an xray of my front leg because they say it looks a little funny even though I walk fine. I wanted to tell them myself, but they learned I had a fracture some time ago that wasn't cared for properly and now I have arthritis in my elbow. I also have some arthritis along my spine. But I'm ok and don't complain. I hear I may have some physical therapy or a pill to help me be more comfortable.

I love to be pet and would crawl in my foster mom's lap if I could. I'm very affectionate and sweet. When she finds a good scratching spot, boy do I groan. It feels so good, I have to tell her. Right now I'm enjoying a bully stick and relaxing after an early walk and hearty morning breakfast. I love chewing this stick so much that I whine while I'm munching... I can't believe how good life can be! Since this is only my first day here, I'm sure I'll have lots more to tell about soon. So stay tuned.

My foster mom said she'd keep me forever, but I'd rather not be a "foster" dog. My dream is to finally find my FOREVER home with a family of my very own. I just want a family who will love me, include me in their life and care for me. I deserve this! Will you make my dreams come true?

No comments:

Post a Comment